Tuesday, September 2, 2014

France - Lyon / Montpellier / Toulouse


(This is where I am y'all)

The journey that should have only (only) taken about 8/9 hours ended up taking about 11 hours which meant I was quite late in getting to my host's  house in Lyon. He had band practice and I literally made it with about 5 minutes to spare. He gave me a quick run-through, a set of keys, then was out the door. So for my first night in France I decided to go to the supermarket and buy some food for some wholesome home cooking. As usual, made too much then ate too much - good times.

The following day my host, Julien, had to work so I just walked around and explored Lyon by myself. The city doesn't really seem that big given the population. I've heard it described as a big little town and I guess that rings true. There's a medieval area, a cathedral on a hill (great views), a shopping area, big squares and all that. It's a nice place! Lots of side streets to wander around in. It was cool to turn a corner and see a beautiful courtyard shaded by a tree with some chairs and tables for the local cafe. There was a lot of nice things to see.

(reflectioning like a boss)


(At the moment I'm sweating like a whore)

(Courtyard YEAH!!)


I met up with Julien in the afternoon to have wine and cheese in the park. He is from a small town outside of Lyon so the wine and cheese were both from his area. Very thoughtful. Instead of going out we just decided to go back to his place and drink some more wine with a bit more chat. Julien is really into heavy metal and I, as it turns out, am not! I must admit though his playlist was decent. We hung out in the park and we busted out a few Red hot chilli pepper classics. I was supposed to help translate the meaning of the lyrics but I suppose like all songs they're a bit vague.

Afterwards we had crepes for dinner! I did mention that I wanted an almost stereotypical French experience and it was almost certainly delivered!

(He loves it)


From Lyon I carpooled again to Montpellier. When travelling it's always nicer to visit the smaller towns but, practically, it can be difficult organising accommodation and transport in France, which means so far I've stuck to the bigger cities - Montpellier included. Indeed, it's a very nice city! You can tell that many parts of it are new because they're so shiny and cleaaan!

We were able to spend some time at the beach which was great! I haven't been to a beach for a very long time and, although I wouldn't really say I'm a beach guy, I really enjoyed it! Jumping in the water then resting on the sand afterwards to dry was just the best! Afterwards we went to an old town inside castle walls. It was a really chilled out day.

(Beach selfie)


(onwards)


Let me say it though ... My couchsurfing host was very strange. Lying down in the street with no explanation, insisting that we keep going to bars, asking to keep my book when I hadn't finished reading it yet, criticising the dinner I had bought for him, suggesting we try French then launching into extremely fast conversation about the current government (then saying I've got a bad accent when I try to speak)... I don't know... My overall conclusion is just that he's a really lonely guy that struggles to make friends and he really wanted people to go to a bar with or just be seen with I suppose. On the second night he wanted to go out and I said, verbatim, "I'm really tired but if you want to go out, we will. I just don't really feel like a nightclub and I guess I'd prefer somewhere close by?"

So of COURSE we ended up at a nightclub that was a 25 minute walk away. When we arrived it was utterly dead (being a Monday night, y'know?). Eventually more people came but my host was trying to meet women in just the worst ways ... touching their hands or grabbing their asses. It did make me feel a bit uncomfortable I'll be honest. It's not my job to be a wingman. I mean, he was going after the bar staff and that's just ... that's just not the done thing.

(There he is. Symbolic)


After Montpellier I managed a lift to Toulouse - another bigger city! I stayed with a really great couple and had a blast! We played petanque on the first night I was there (I'm terrible), explored the city by bike, they had arranged a party before I asked to stay with them and it turned out to be, literally, a wine and cheese party. Turns out one of their friend's house mates was leaving France so they wanted to indulge him before he left ... we had to dress in red, blue, and white and everything! Both the cheese AND wine were lovely! It was MORE lovely to meet their friends and hang out in the nice atmosphere. Everyone was pretty good at English which was a big relief. It didn't feel like a hassle for them to speak it - it seemed quite natural.

(Petanque pros)


(French party prep)


(Wine n cheese demolition)


While exploring the city by bike, my host's girlfriend and I stopped to have some cake at a shop recommended to me by a friend. We were enjoying a nice pear/chocolate crumble when all of a sudden everyone around us got up to leave warily without much of an explanation. Turned out someone had called in a bomb threat! After this flash of adventure we bought some cheese and artisan bread (because it's fucking FRANCE y'all!).

"What is the word contrary to soft?"
"... hard?"
"yes! This cheese is hard!"
"How do you know the word 'contrary' but not the word hard?!"


(This would be a hard cheese! Conveniently the same one Julien offered in Lyon!)

I was planning on going to Bordeaux but then I got a message from an old housemate of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment